Business News

HMRC Amend PAYE Penalties Guidance

At the start of the tax year new late payment penalties were introduced for PAYE and other payments due from employers. The new rules apply to almost all employers and contractors, whether they employ one or a hundred employees. The rules apply to monthly, quarterly and annual periods of PAYE starting on or after 6 April 2010.

HMRC can impose late payment penalties on PAYE amounts due that are not paid in full on time, including:

  • monthly, quarterly or annual PAYE;
  • student loan deductions;
  • Construction Industry Scheme deductions;
  • Class 1 NIC; and
  • annual payments of employers’ Class 1A and Class 1B NIC.

HMRC have now amended their guidance to include comments on so-called ‘warning letters’. HMRC state:

‘The letter is only to let you know that HMRC think you have made a PAYE payment late and that a penalty could be charged. It is not a penalty notice and you can’t appeal against it.

Importantly, it does not mean a penalty will definitely be charged, and you may get a penalty even if you do not get a letter.

If you agree that you have made a late payment, you should make sure you pay on time and in full in future. The next time you pay late you may become liable to a penalty. HMRC will contact you before a penalty is charged. If they charge a penalty they will send you a penalty notice.

If you believe you have received a letter in error, perhaps because you have already paid, have a time to pay agreement or have a ‘reasonable excuse’ you don’t need to contact HMRC yet. But you may find it helpful make a note of why you don’t think a penalty is chargeable in case HMRC contact you about penalty action in future.’

If you receive a letter but have paid on time, it may worth telling HMRC that their records are currently wrong to avoid problems later on. If you are experiencing problems with paying PAYE or any other tax on time, HMRC may be prepared to defer payment and this, in turn, may avoid penalties.

Please get in touch if you would like to discuss this further.

Internet Link: HMRC guidance